The most important thing you need to remember when traveling internationally with your pet is ALL COUNTRIES ask for different requirements. It is your responsibility to determine what is needed and that your pet has what it needs to travel. Here is how you find out what your pet needs:


1. Go to this link on the APHIS website for travel information:!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOK9_D2MDJ0MjDwtzD0MDDzd_L28nVyCjQ1CDIEKIpEVuAdbuhp4-oW5-Vr4mBt7e5kTp98AB3A0IKQ_XD8KVQkWF4AV4LGiIDc0wiDTUREAxIXZpA!!/?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_our_focus%2Fsa_import_export%2Fsa_animals%2Fsa_pet_travel%2Fct_pet_travel_home


2. Go to this link and scroll down to live Animals where you will pick your country of destination to find their specific requirements:


We have put together a general list of requirements for reference:

We recommend all dogs traveling should have a microchip and MUST have valid rabies with Certificate.

UK (England):  Go to:


For European Union:

Dogs need a microchip and Rabies vaccination. For the Rabies to be valid this must be done about 21 days before travel. You must have a European Passport form to travel- 10 days before travel, and dewormed 24-48 hrs before travel. Your rabies certificate must be valid, with the name of the of the product used, the manufacture, batch number, and the serial number.


Dogs need to have the lepto vaccine also. Some countries require a one year Rabies done 30 day prior to travel. Make sure you are aware of this for whatever country you are traveling to. USA and Canada use a general 7001 form, with core vaccines and valid rabies.

Puerto Rico:

A Rabies vaccine that is valid and more than 6 months old and NO pitbulls, staffies, or pit crosses can travel in this country.

Hawaii and South Africa have very strict requirements and must be looked up and met or DOG WILL NOT TRAVEL THERE.


When your forms are ready please make sure you have everything photocopied. You will mail the USA Form APHIS 7001 and the Country of Destination Requirements with the original Rabies to the USDA.

You will need to enclose a check for the 7001 with Rabies = $38.00 (per form per animal) and the Titer Test Forms = $121.00. You will need to send it by overnight mail via FedEx or UPS for tracking to:



500 New Karner Road, 2nd Floor

Albany, NY 12205



When shipping an animal internationally there is a large amount of stress involved. Click on the button below to print out the Health Certificate form. This will help decrease the stress of getting this paperwork done on

short notice.


You must have this form filled out in total before your visit to our hospital to start the paperwork process.


You will also need two pictures of your animal –one face and one of the side of the body. If you don’t have all the information we can help you get it.

Once you have your Health Certificate you need to have it signed by the Federal Vet.

*If you want the forms returned to you overnight you must supply the

self-addressed stamped overnight envelope

for them.

© 2005-2021 Rippowam Animal Hospital. All rights reserved.